The Villa Almerico-Capra or called as Villa Capra “La Rotonda” is a villa designed by Andrea Palladio in Vicenza, northern Italy. It built in 1566 and finished in 1571 at hilltop just outside the city of Vicenza. The villa got “Capra” as it’s name because Capra brothers, people who completed the building after it was ceded to them in 1591. And the name “La Rotonda” refers to the circular dome in the central of the building. In 1994, the building is a part of the World Heritage Site “City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto”.
The building classed as a “palazzo” rather than a villa by Palladio.The main design of the building is a square symmetrical plan with four facades, each facade has a projecting portico with pediments graced by statues of classical deities. Each of the portico has steps leading up to the circular domed in the central of the building.
The design was rotated 45 degrees from each cardinal point of the compass to makes each room to have some sun. The interior of the building is wonderfull. It’s painted by Alessandro, Giovanni Battista Maganzia and Anselmo Canera. The West Salon called as the Holy Room because of the religious nature of its frescoes and ceiling.