The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark is the most famous of the city’s churches. The basilica, also known as Basilica Cattedrale Patriachale di San Marco or Saint Mark’s Basilica, located on Piazza San Marco in Venice, Italy.
The basilica originally is a “chapel” of the Venetian rulers. It constructed in 828, but by the time the church replaced and also burned and rebuilt again and again until the basilica was consecrated in 1094.
The exterior design can be divided to three parts. First, the lower parts included the facade five round-arched portals. It is covered by polychrome marble columns. The second part is the upper. It is bas-relief cycles of Romanesque art with a 19th century gilded mosaic about Last Judgment. And the last part is the domes.
The interior divided in three naves and emphasized by a dome of its own. It is based on a Greek cross. The floor tessellated in geometric patterns and animal designs with opus sectile and opus tessellatum techniques. While the upper of the interior completely covered with the mosaics containing gold, bronze, and the greatest variety of stones.