The Price Tower is a skyscraper in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The building has nineteen of floors and the height is 221 foot. It is the only realized skyscraper by Wright, designed in 1952 and opened to the public in 1956. The building was commissioned by Harold C. Price and used as business offices, shops, and apartments for H. C. Price Company.
The Price Tower has a “taproot” wich supported the building using central fondation of four elevator shafts which are anchored in place by a deep central foundation. Like the branches of a tree each of the nineteen floors of the building are cantilevered from the central core fondation. In the outer of the walls, there is hanged copper “leaves.” Based on this building’s construction and design, Wright nicknamed it as “the tree that escaped the crowded forest.”
In 1981, The H.C. Price Company sold Price Tower to Phillips Petroleum and in 2000 Phillips Petroleum donated the building to Price Tower Arts Center. And now the building used as Price Tower Arts Center, a museum of art, architecture, and design. In 2007, the building registered as a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior.